Junk food or fast-food consumption may be appealing to many individuals due to convenience associated with price and taste. Unfortunately, such individuals do not realize the health implications associated with such eating habits. To children, junk foods are very appetizing and addictive. At long run, this may lead to serious health complications.
Effects of junk food
1. Risks of obesity: Junk foods are precursors for obesity. This is because of high amount of calories and added sugars in them.
2. Chronic illness: Individuals who frequently consume fast foods are prone to diabetes, high blood pressure and stroke. This is because the foods do not provide the required essential nutrients for body balance.
3. Reduced self-esteem and depression: Junk foods negatively impact the sense of self. It may lead to unhealthy weight gain leading to reduced self-esteem. Furthermore, growth and development is negatively affected.
3 Tips on Kicking Your Junk Food Habits
Here are some of the possible ways that can facilitate you to kick off the junk food habit based on their negative implications.
1. Examine your eating habits
First, you need to analyze how often you find yourself in a fast food grocery shop. You need to reduce the number of time you visit such places. This can be done by analyzing your super food list. Maybe you could be addicted to junk foods because you don’t have time to prepare your own food. Once you analyze your supper food, you will realize the important nutrients your body has been missing.
Picture out the best nutrients contained in your super food list and the health benefits such as protecting the heart, lungs and other important body organs. Categorize each food with the nutrients it contains for example, if its veggies mention the type of veggies which are important. For the fruits, mention the fruits which your body needs for maximum health. This will motivate you to reduce the junk foods intake as you will have a written roster of the foods you need to consume on daily basis for optimum health.
2. Carry out an extensive investigation
First, analyze on the amount of money you have spent on fast foods and compare with the amount you could have spent by purchasing foods that you can prepare on your own. Secondly, analyze the amount of calories you have been consuming from junk foods. Is it beneficial? You may realize that such high calorie foods will increase your body weight causing cardiovascular disorders. Read some magazines on junk foods and visit a community supported agricultural center for free advice on junk foods.
3. Plan on a turnaround strategy
First, you need to determine what type of food you shall replace with fast foods. Secondly, you need to know the type of food you are buying. This is by comparing the food labels to make sure that you only purchase the healthiest. This is referred to as shopping healthy.
Limit your indulgences especially if you were addicted. This is by consuming little portion of junk foods and completely eliminating them with time. Again you need to carry with you only healthy snacks. This will reduce your chances of stopping at a fast food restaurant. Finally, you need to try and stick to your plan as it will get easier with time.
Image Source: Flickr